Vigna del Convento


La vigna del Convento è l’ultimo cru in ordine di tempo ritagliato all’interno della superficie dei vigneti piantati nel comune di Capestrano. È costituita di 4,5 ettari che si stendono nella parte più alta dei terreni, un tempo coltivati a vigne e orti, di pertinenza dell’antico Convento di San Francesco, edificato a partire dalla metà del XVº secolo su un colle che domina il piccolo borgo di Capestrano. Fondato da San Giovanni da Capestrano (1386 – 1456), che insieme a San Bernardino da Siena diffuse il Francescanesimo nel mondo, il convento è oggi uno scrigno che racchiude la storia di questa parte del territorio abruzzese in una biblioteca ricca di antichi manoscritti e bolle papali originali.

In 2003 we planted the barbatelle of Montepulciano d'Abruzzo, obtained through massive selections from the ancient Popoli vineyard, on a lean, skeleton-rich soil but with a good clay component that allows the soil to retain water by relieving stress water of the vines in the most dormant periods. Exposed to the south east, so sunny, since the first year of life, the vineyard has been facing the hottest vintage of the last hundred years. Another initial difficulty was the discovery in 2004 of a ferrous chlorosis, which put at risk the development of the roots of the vines and which, in order to be eradicated, required five long years of commitment and care to individual plants.
The microclimate so different from that of the Popoli plateau has two important consequences: previews on average two to three weeks depending on the vintage and Montepulciano d'Abruzzo which is distinguished by power and concentration compared to those produced in the others corporate cru.